Family and Parent Migration Visa
Selection of the family sponsored migrants is based on their family relationship with their sponsor or nominator in Australia.
Parent visa category is available for those parents who have children settled in Australia as an Australian citizen or permanent resident.
This visa allows residence for parents in Australia if their child is an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen who is settled in Australia.
You might be eligible for this visa if you:
- are sponsored
- meet the balance-of-family test
- are prepared to wait in a queue before your visa can be decided.
The Parent visa (subclass 103) allows parents a permanent residence in Australia if they have a child who is an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen who is settled in Australia.
In most cases, applicants must be sponsored by their child. The sponsor needs to be a law abiding individual, residing in Australia for two years immediately before the application is lodged.
This is a permanent residence visa. It allows you and any family members who have also been granted this visa to:
- stay in Australia indefinitely
- work and study in Australia
- enroll in Medicare, Australia’s scheme for health-related care and expenses
- apply for Australian citizenship (if you are eligible)
- sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence
- travel to and from Australia for five years from the date the visa is granted (after that time, you will need a resident return visa or another visa to return to Australia).
To sponsor their parent for this visa, the individual must be:
- 18 years of age or older living lawfully in Australia for at least two years before the visa application is lodged one of the following:
- an Australian citizen
- an Australian permanent resident
- an eligible New Zealand citizen.